Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tying a double knot?

Both Brian and I have thrown around the idea of incorporating some Korean culture into the wedding ceremony. We've mentioned possibly holding a quick Korean wedding ceremony after the Western ceremony before the reception. My parents have talked about holding a separate event altogether in Delaware for the friends and family that can't make it out to Vancouver. As of right now, I think we've pretty much concluded that our budget is only conducive to one culture's wedding and I am fine neglecting the Korean in me as long as the western side of me gets to go all out.

For those who are unfamiliar with the rituals of a Korean ceremony, I present you with a brief 101 course courtesy of Almighty Wikipedia:

In Korea, the marriage between a man and woman represents the joining of two families, rather than the joining of two individuals. As such, the event was often called Taerye (Great Ritual), and people from all over participated. Steeped in traditional Confucian values, the ceremonies and events surrounding the actual marriage were long and elaborate, from the pairing of the couple to the rituals performed after the ceremony.

Professional matchmakers paired up likely candidates for marriage, with the new couple often meeting for the first time at their wedding! The families considered many factors in the decision, consuting with fortune tellers for predictions about the couple's future life together. During the Chosun period, people married in their early teens, with the girl often being several years older than the boy.


Pimp daddy traveling to his new lady's crib (The screen is to cover his face from his new bride).

The groom usually traveled to the house of the bride for the ceremony, then stayed there for 3 days before taking his new bride to his family's home. The actual ceremony involved many small rituals, with many bows and symbolic gestures such as drinking tea/soju with the parents of both the bride and groom. The participants were expected to control their emotions and remain somber.

Bowing.


Although Koreans have kept several aspects of the traditional ceremony, most modern ceremonies resemble Western marriage ceremonies more than traditional Korean ones. However, many folk villages and museums across the country regularly perform ceremonies to keep the traditions alive.


Such party animals those Koreans.

But I can't believe that the article left out the best parts: The dress and the piggyback ride! We get to rock some serious robes and he's supposed to symbolically show that he's dedicated to supporting me by giving me a piggyback ride around the room! Check it out!

Lucy Liu marries Frankenstein.

So like I said, I don't think we have any definitive plans regarding Korean wedding vows. At least not yet. It may still be a possibility. But most likely it would happen a couple of months after the initial wedding just to give us some time to recover....

Just something to think about...

This could be us!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Lucy Liu isn't even Korean! :)

    I thought I'd help you out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Korean_Americans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I know. But I didn't think so many KOREAN EXPERTS would be reading my blog! I stand corrected. :)

    ReplyDelete