Monday, February 28, 2011

Floral Novice

The one thing I'm starting to slowly realize is that I know nothing about flowers.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Any petaled plant is pretty much one of three things to me: a rose, a daisy, or a lily pad. In various colors obviously.

So yesterday at the Kennett Square Wedding Show (which was lovely), I was given a little mini-lesson on flowers. For my fellow novices, I present to you..... calla lilies, orchids, casablanca lillies, and hydrangeas.

Calla lilies

casablanca lilies

hydrangeas

orchids

With my new wealth of flowerly info, I think I'm ready to start thinking more about potential wedding decor. Unfortunately, the scope of my planning is limited by the fact that the venue will not be picked until at least the end of March so these are just very premature inklings of ideas.

I've seen a good batch of sample centerpieces and I find myself being drawn to the taller ones. Pricing seems to vary greatly on what actually goes into these centerpieces and the ones I've come across have been between $150 to $300 per piece. I'm seriously contemplating just buying in bulk and crafting my own centerpieces (Anyone interested in Martha Stewarting it up with me?). I figured I don't really need to be spending $10 per petal even if the flower is from some remote part of the Amazon and only blooms once every 1000 years.

Here are a few ideas:



Red scabiosa arrangements

French curvy willows and cherry blossoms, maybe?

Hydrangeal balls.

Cherry blossoms

More hydrangeas with.... some other twigs. Cherry blossoms I would guess.

Hydrangeas.

A mix bag of flowers.

I think I could wing it. If all else fails, I could just fill a clear vase with water, toss in a few rose petals and a floating candle and voila! Beauty in a vase. Anything with rose petals and a floating candle is pretty. Plan B. Done.

2 comments:

  1. I knew nothing (and still don't know anything) about flowers either... luckily my friend/co-worker Carolyn used to work for a florist so she gave me some sound advice and took me to the Philly Flower Show a few weeks ago. Then when I met with two florists to get estimates I was at least able to let them know which kinds of flowers I like and don't like and the aesthetic that I'm looking for. The one florist totally hit the nail on the head when she described what she had in mind (based on what I had told her).

    Some of the best advice I got: Keep in mind the time of the year that you'll be getting married... I don't think cherry blossoms will be in season anymore. :)

    http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/seasonal-wedding-flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I truly adore these floral decorations. I always buy fresh flowers from BloomThat Flower Delivery shop for my home decoration and even for parties. Fresh flowers make any occasion look more beautiful and charming too. Isn’t that true?

    ReplyDelete