Friday, February 11, 2011

Wedding Food

Friends, family and strangers:

It's Brian here. I've decided to come out of hiding and make a semi-proper post since I have been rather neglectful to this masterpiece of a blog that Gina has created (side note: I improved the layout from the ugly hummingbird theme Gina originally selected to its current glory). What better topic than wedding food to get me back into the blogging world? I'm getting hungry already.

Gina and I are both intense lovers of food and I don't think we'll have too much trouble finding food that we and our guests can all enjoy come wedding day. Although, I should admit that Gina and I are both somewhat conservative in our tastes, with the exception of Gina's love for all food Korean.

Before getting into food we like, I'm going to cross off the things we dislike. Gina and I, in combination, will not eat the following foods... or at least, we won't particularly enjoy them:
-seafood
-mushrooms
-mayonnaise
-red meat (I blame Gina for this... I love beef)

The above list is fairly limiting, I know. BUT let's get back to Korean food. I am thinking it would be pretty cool to incorporate some Korean flavours into the wedding menu--Asian fusion style. I'm not sure how this will work but I love the following things:
-mandoo (korean dumplings)
-korean bbq -- red meat included, sorry Gina.
-dolsot bibimbap (rice, finely sliced vegetables, egg and shredded beef served in a hot stone bowl with chili sauce)

Dolsot bibimbap

LA Kalbi.

mmm. How awesome would it be to have your own bbq at your table? I dunno, maybe not. I want opinions.

On another note, i've discovered that we should probably cross Cecil Green off our list as a possible venue, because the only catering allowed on the site is supplied by the University... no offence to UBC.

I will write more later.



*******Edit*******

Gina says:



I WANT THIS CAKE.

Yes, please.

6 comments:

  1. WHAT? Gina doesn't like red meat? but, kalbi...and bulgogi...and bibimbop!! I deem her not a true Korean. Also, as much as I love bbq, I don't like smelling like it, so your wedding guests may not like it as much afterwards.

    on another note, that's a very bling cake, yet surprisingly simple. i would have thought Gina would like something like these:
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3219771_f520.jpg
    http://www.fancycakesbyleslie.com/assets/images/brown_pink2.jpg

    I'm loving these two:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_acG9Fr05oBo/S9mUP0RS8nI/AAAAAAAAACI/FHNAgVftSJU/s1600/wedding+cake.jpg

    http://blog.myweddingfavors.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/wedding-cake.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow! I do love that first cake!!! I must have it!!!!

    You know me too well, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm food....while you can't please everyone, food is definitely a big part of your day. We ended up going for a 5 course plated meal (and we gave no options for guests before hand)...it ended up being fabulous, but we had enough sense to pick chicken instead of beef or fish.
    I like the idea of a fusion meal - I love Asian food, but am less familiar with Korean than say Vietnamese or Japanese. It would be cool to do that but if it means too much expense (or just not an option), it might be cool to have the rehearsal dinner be totally Korean themed? Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather! I love the idea of having an Asian fusion themed rehearsal dinner!!! I will definitely look into that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! those food really looks good and it making me hungry I wanted to eat them all. Good food brings people together. Finger food is best suited for all occasions, it is light and people love eating it.

    zonia

    ReplyDelete