Monday, January 31, 2011

Wedding Diet

Here comes the inevitable post on wedding dieting.

My least favorite thing about having an upcoming wedding is knowing that I will have to forgo 20 months of potato chips, ricecakes, fettucine alfredo, twinkies, french fries, chicken nuggets, sesame chicken, fruit roll ups, lo mein, powdered donuts, and anything else that is deep fried, sprinkled in sugar, and makes my tastebuds orgasm. Just shoot me now and put me out of my misery.

Just as I eat to live, I live to eat. Nothing compares to biting into a crispy onion ring dipped in ranch dressing.... or slurping up spicy ramen noodles on a cold wintry night. In fact, I'm feeling inspired to write a haiku.



Ode to The Bowl of Rice.

Oh pot of white gold,
You are the most beautiful,
When in my belly.



Okay so let's get to the point of this blog.

I understand all the physiological benefits to getting fit and staying in shape:
You live longer, you feel happier (subjective), you have better self esteem, you have more energy, you have more physical and mental endurance, and you obviously look better. All of these are great and all but if I'm going to be entirely, shamelessly honest with myself, the main reason why I want to get in shape is purely for the superficial purpose of wanting to look good in my wedding photos. And I don't want to just look good. I want to look DAMN good. So yes, my motive for wanting to lose weight/get fit may be a tad bit on the shallow side, but at least it's gonna get me to the same end goal. And honestly, let's be real here: almost all brides go through pre-wedding anorexia so I don't think I'm alone in my reasoning.

So let's break it down. I have 20 months to lose 30 pounds. That's a little over a pound a month. In other words, I. Have. No. Excuse. That will be my mantra for the next 20 months. I might even get it tattooed on my fat ass to motivate me. I guess "fat ass" could work as well -- but how would I explain that to my kids? Okay, jumping way too far ahead here... Here's my course of action: eat less crap, sweat more. Simple right? Gotta keep it simple. "Crap" is defined as anything that Jesus wouldn't eat (WWJE? I just can't picture him scarfing down a jelly-filled donut) and getting a "sweat" on would require at least 20 minutes of rigorous activity. I. Can. Do. This.

Right? Right.

I hope.




I will.

5 comments:

  1. I say beware the post wedding weight gain. Brides often put back on every single pound they lost because they revert back to their old ways. I was thin and didn't diet before my wedding, but it's been 5 years and 40 lbs later here I am working my ass off. Wish I had gotten into a healthier routine before because it's sure easy to pack on and harder to get rid of. And yes, it's mostly superficial (I want to look good) but it definitely means good things for my health too. That doesn't mean giving up food! Just changing some habits and being aware.
    You can do it! If I can do it, you can do it.
    Sugar and simple carbs are our delicious and evil enemies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it was warmer out and there wasn't a layer of ice on the sidewalks, we could go running together - I'm super slow but I like doing it so I'd be a good partner. Or you can come to kickboxing at the Y with me (Wed at 7:30). It's a lot of fun!!

    I'm not good at the eating part of dieting though as evidenced by me encouraging you to order pizza yesterday, but I'm glad the 2 Papa John's you called were having difficulties and we ended up not getting any pizza. I'll try to be a better example, but my sweet tooth is out of control sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement ladies!

    @Heather, I am secretly hoping that I will become addicted to eating healthy/working out/being thin that I won't have to worry about the post wedding poundage! But it's hard to replace the joys of GLORIOUS WHITE BREAD. But I'm going to take it one month at a time. I. Have. No. Excuse.

    @Katie: Lol. I'm glad that I didn't order the XL pizza as well. I ended up going home and eating a lean cuisine (350 Calories)! Go me! And I will totally take you up on the running and kickboxing! You'll have to drag me out for a run once the snow melts but the kickboxing I'm totally down for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) I love that you two have a blog

    2) You need to find something fun that you enjoy doing to help you stay on the fit track (dance class anyone?)

    3) Let's chat about the NYC (Plaza much?)

    4) I enjoy the excessive use of brackets ()

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Melissa!

    1) We love that you love it.

    2) Believe it or not, Brian is open to signing up for dance classes possibly this summer or the next. Hopefully kickboxing with my friend Katie tomorrow will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

    3) Yes NYC! Have you figured out the dates yet? Email me or call me to hammer out some plans! gnachung@gmail.com/(302) 521-3649

    4) I can't help that I have so much to say (while I'm saying something else) but I'm glad you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete