Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wedding Diet Update

I'm going to partake in my second session of kickboxing with the ever-lovely Katie. She invited me along last Wednesday in order to support my goal of losing 30 pounds. This is how last Wednesday went:


7:20 pm - Met Katie in the lobby area of the YMCA to be signed in as a guest.

7:25 pm - I find a nice juicy spot right in the middle of the room to claim as my own. It's not too eager-beaver, but it's not too slacker-like either.

7:30 pm - Warm ups commence. Nice and easy. I'm likin' this.

7:45 pm - Warm ups are transitioning into slow punches and low kicks. I can do this.

7:50 pm - I shouldn't have eaten that turkey sub before I came here. I have meat and mayo burps.

8:00 pm - Faster punching, higher kicks, plus squats. Not likin' this as much. Need a break. Where is the break? No break? What? I need water. I lose my sweet spot in the middle of the room.

8:02 pm - I regain position in the back of the room (AKA the slacker section) and proceed to attempt to mimic an inkling of the moves that the instructor is telling us to do. Everyone is one step ahead of me in the sequence.

8:10 pm - I'm in pain. Fast punching, high kicks, squats, and football drill runs. Clock must be broken.

8:15 pm - Instructor tells us to grab some mats. I think I'm saved. Until she makes us do planks on our elbows. I do child's pose instead without shame.

8:20 pm - Finally. Warm downs and stretches. I'm sweating from pores I didn't know existed.

8:30 pm - I say a prayer of thanks to God and thank Katie for inviting me. I am drenched in sweat, numb from exhaustion, and can't walk in a straight line but I am happy that I did it. I tell Katie that I would love to do it all over again in a week.

Twelve hours later: I have to crawl out of bed and am tempted to take a donut pillow with me to class because my ass muscles and thighs are so sore. Couldn't even take a squat on the toilet without wincing in pain. True sign of a great workout.


I must be a sadomasochist. Round two tonight! :)

1 comment:

  1. I did a year of Muay Thai kickboxing when I was 25. I was in the best shape EVER. I got my green belt! And then I quit because they wanted me to start FIGHTING...which was totally not in the books. I liked it a lot though! Great full body work out.

    ReplyDelete