Saturday, February 12, 2011

Wedding Dress Try-Ons Day 2.

So today was another productive weekend of trying on dresses.

I had two boutiques picked out and this time I had my cousin Sarah and my mother accompanying me. The first boutique was what would be considered Delaware's "premier" boutique. It was in the ritzy area of Hockessin in a cute shopping center next to a health food store and a high end salon. The boutique was beautifully designed and looked quite promising. Jennifer, the owner, had booked me earlier on the phone and she was everything I expected her to be: early 40's, tall, incredibly in shape, way too tan for February, and was wearing 4-inch stilettos. She asked me what I was looking for and I told her that I was looking for something that was big, luxurious, and blinged out. With a raised eyebrow Jennifer stated that I wouldn't have much luck here as they were only carriers of more "demure" (AKA "more sophisticated") brands but that I was welcome to have a look around. My mother, Sarah, and I did a little walk through and ultimately ended up picking only one dress. It was a satin pink ball gown with jewel details on the bodice. It was way simpler than I would have liked but I thought I might has well give it a shot since nothing else really caught my eye.  Jennifer helped me put it on, and when I told her that my fiance was from Canada, she talked the whole time about her girlfriend from Florida who had just gotten married and moved to Toronto and how much she hated the winter there. I tried to explain that Brian was from Vancouver and that the winters there were mild but I doubt she heard me because she had to leave to go answer the ringing phone. It didn't matter though because I already knew that this dress wasn't the one. My mother and Sarah were quick to agree. Jennifer came back to say "By the way, I don't know what your budget is, but our dresses start at $3,000 and up." I replied by stating that I wanted out of the dress and thanked her for the 20 minutes we had spent in there.


The next boutique we visited was next door to a Hooters and a Pepperidge Farm Bakery (YUM but why would they do such a thing? I did not succumb to the temptation.). Although the store was a bit more run down, it was bigger and had more selection than Jennifer's did and the consultant here (Margee) was fabulous. She asked me what I was looking for and told me to pick out dresses that I liked and that she was going to suggest a few of her own. We ended up only trying on the dresses she picked because they were so fabulous! There were three that I tried on and I really liked two of them. The first one I tried on for fun. It was big and loud but in a.... ruffley type of way. It's kinda hard to describe so..... I will let the picture do the talking.


NOT my dream dress.
I showed Brian this picture and he described me as "looking like Big Bird." Although I didn't appreciate the comment, it was better than him actually liking the dress so I'm relieved. Out of the two dresses I liked (Both of which Sarah and my mother LOVED), I liked the last one that I tried on best. I told Margee what my budget was and she confirmed that all the wedding gowns in the store were well below my budget so I was one happy bride-to-be. Unfortunately, we were running out of time as my mother had a dinner to attend to within the hour. I thanked Margee and told her that I would be back. Which I totally will.

I'm still in love with the reception dress that I had previously tried on at Fantasia's and haven't found the ONE dress worthy enough to replace that one so my quest for the perfect dress continues. Only 92 dresses left to try on! :)


****EDIT****

Major update: David's Bridal now carries VERA WANG dresses! Eeek! Definitely going back to try these on!
White by Vera Wang

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment