Thursday, August 11, 2011

Joining the cult

So I joined the Netflix cult.

I'm not officially a full-fledged member since I'm technically signed up for their one month free trial but so far.... I've been hooked like white on rice.

I decided to take this step when Brian and I attempted to go see Jaws in Stanley Park on the outdoor screen on Tuesday but couldn't find parking after 20 minutes of looking. I was pretty disappointed but then Brian suggested we get Netflix and just enjoy our prepared picnic basket from the comfort of our own bed. And it was GREAT.

Now the only downside to Netflixing it up with Brian is that he does not do movies. He hates fiction and fantasy so it's difficult for him to stay awake during 90% of the movies we've watched together. But! We've come to a somewhat of a compromise: Turns out Brian seems to be able to stay awake during most documentaries so we've resorted to that for the last few movie nights.

The first movie we watched was Facing the Habit.
 It was pretty eye opening and depressing. The movie follows a guy named Dave who is an ex stock broker millionaire who now resorts to theft in order to support his heroin addiction. It was focused on a controversial drug that is only legal in Mexico that is used to treat heroin addicts. The film shows how effective this anti-addiction drug is but also reveals how easy it is for heroin addicts to relapse even after they become soberized. At the end of the movie I was left with the feeling of "Holy cow. Being a heroin addict pretty much ensures inevitable death." I mean, three of the people who were being filmed actually DIED of an overdose by the end of it. Yes. Pretty shitty odds. Anyways, it was interesting and pretty short so it was perfect for Brian's short-termed attention span.

Last night we watched another documentary called Fall From Grace which is about the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas City (The church that pickets military funerals with homosexual slurs).
Unfortunately, Brian was only able to stay awake for the first 48 minutes of this film. I finished it on my own and I am still in shock as to how people are able to defend themselves even when they are being so outrageously heartless and cruel. It's insane. I've seen interviews with the Westboro Church's minister's daughter who is an attorney and she is totally bonkers. It blows my mind to see how these people justify their actions.... I mean even the kids are totally brainwashed! Anyways, this documentary wasn't as eye opening since these loonybins are always on TV but it was still interesting to hear other viewpoints and personal interviews with members of this whackhouse. Seriously, only in America.

Anyways, enough of my Siskel and Ebert spiels. I did end up going to the Georgia Rosewood Hotel yesterday and it. Was. Fabulous. Probably one of the most luxurious looking hotels I've ever been in. It's very old Hollywood and just grandiose in every way. Me, being a total idiot, left my camera in the car so I don't have any pictures to show. But! I have rescheduled a viewing tonight with Brian so I will have pictures by tomorrow! It's a bit steep on the price but still within the affordable ranges. I'm hoping to be able to somehow work in their rooftop terrace/penthouse suite which I have yet to see so keep your fingers crossed! This one MIGHT be it! :D

I still wanna see the Orpheum before I make any final decisions and obviously Brian will be a deciding factor as well so there are still a few steps left to take. But GAWD. Am I ever ready to just DO IT. If this is what wedding planning is going to be like, I'd rather hire a wedding planner for the rest of it!

Alright -- Time for Zumba!



No comments:

Post a Comment