Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Belated Weekly Recap

Alright. Finally some time to recap our busy week!

Last Wednesday, Brian and I joined some friends for trivia night in downtown Vancouver. The sun was just setting and we had the best view in the bar. The bar was called "The Calling" and the trivia was actually quite difficult. The first page was all based on James Bond movies and the music sections were on rock and roll covers. We tried not to cheat too much on our smart phones (If you got caught using your phone, you had to chug your drink) but I'm not going to pretend that I didn't look up the definition of "megalomaniac" -- a person obsessed with power. Anyways, we didn't the grand prize but our table did end up winning one of the smaller games and got prized with a pitcher of a drink of our choice. So we didn't leave totally empty-handed. By the way, this place has a cool laid-back atmosphere and its location is prime but the bar food was.... subpar at best. We got the wing special at $5 per pound and the loaded nachos. The wings didn't do it for me and the nachos were partially cold so the shredded cheese had not melted. Yuck.

Anyways, here are some pics of the trivia team!

An and Chantelle

Brian and Parbs

Me and An

Our awesome team name. We got an extra point for creativity!

On Friday night, we went to Kitsilano to have dinner with Brian's boss Darren and his beautiful and pregnant wife, Shelly. We had a lovely dinner at Hapa Izakaya and then went across the street to another restaurant called "The Local" for desserts. Darren and Shelly are quite possibly the most interesting and glamorous couple I have ever met. Shelly is 32 and Darren is 41 and they are both retired actors. They just got married last year and just bought their home in North Van. It was interesting to hear about their acting lives and how they'd come to do what they do today (Darren is a senior manager at Brian's work and Shelly owns a jewelry store in Gastown). Darren still does commercials here and there but is now "finally deciding to settle down." Interestingly enough, when we went over to "The Local" we just happened to have run into some of Darren's friends from the film industry. We got seats next to the actor who played Jason in "Freddy vs. Jason"! Pretty rad. I would've taken some pictures but I think Brian didn't want me to make a big fuss.... Although I was pretty starstruck.

That's right. We had dessert next to this guy.
On Saturday, Brian and I joined Sean and Michelle on a 6 km hike to Mt. Seymour. AND WE SAW A BEAR!!!!! My first run in with a CANADIAN BEAR!!!! I was super pumped and probably got stupidly close to it but it's a BEAR!!!

Check out THE BEAR and other pics of the beautiful hike!

Word.

WHAT'S THAT!?!?!?!?

A BURRRR!!!!!

A LUMBERING BURRRR!!!!!

Hike commences.

Jumps!

Jumps!

JUMPS!!!

The hiking dream team.

Lake.

Newt catching.

Safe?

SNOWWWW!!!
That hike kicked my ass. It had wayyyy too many inclines for this rotund Asian. But I completed it. And I had a good time with everyone involved.

Saturday night Brian decides to take me to the Chinese Night Market in Richmond. So much fun! There was vendors galore that sold things from "Korean Socks" to palm readings to bobble heads! There was also a Pinoy Idol contest going on with some pretty hilarious contestants. Brian and I didn't buy anything except some Korean waffles and a bubble tea to share. Then we spent the rest of the evening watching the Pinoy Idol contest. I love live karaoke!

Disco lights at the market

Ddukbbokki!

Wafflesssss

Chomp

Goodbye fishie!

Bubble tealicious

Pinoy Idol

Happy audience

Little ones belting it out
And that was the end of our week! Tonight they're playing "Pretty Woman" in Stanley Park and we're going to try to go earlier in order to find parking. Believe it or not, I've never seen "Pretty Woman" and I can't think of a better venue to watch it at! :D

Hope everyone's having a fabulous week! Only two weeks left of my Vancouver vacay! :(

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're adventuring it up G, bring a bear claw back for me!
    btw, I hope ur infection is all better, and insomnia has improved :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That is a great name for a team :)
    Thumbs up! See you this weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gracie! Thanks girl! I am now infection free and managing to sleep in into 6am at least! I'll see you soon!

    @Heather: Yes! I'm super stoked for our weekend together! :D

    ReplyDelete