Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bittersweet Moments in Life

I have officially completed my first round of clinicals.




Without killing a single soul.



It's a bit nervewracking to have to be responsible for a very sick person all by yourself for an entire eight hour shift but by golly I did it. For six weeks. Go me. And it wasn't always pretty. I've never seen so much stool and urine in my entire life. I'm officially a pro at cleaning feces and urine in under 5 minutes. Bring it onnnnnn.

Enemas? Totally not my cup of tea.

Anyways, today was our last day of clinicals and we had a little celebration with donuts and cookies and banana bread (Major yum) and we got our clinical instructor a group gift for putting up with our incompetent asses.

Observe.
Our patient and ever loving mother bird. Shelia.

Mother hen and her brood.

Plus me... lookin' like I'm straight off a Robinson Crusoe raft.
It was pretty exhausting but I think we all got the hang of things towards the end and I've definitely gotten a lot more comfortable in the hospital setting.

Which takes me to my next set of news......




I GOT THE JOB IN THE PULMONARY STEP DOWN UNIT!!!!!!

I am super stoked! It was my first choice unit and I've been trying to get a student nurse extern position for quite some time now. As an added bonus, I don't have to start until September 1st, which lets me enjoy the entire summer! (Oh happy day! Oh happy day! Oh happy dayyyyy!) This is pretty major because it will not only get some much needed experience onto my resume but also will significantly boost my chances of getting an RN job in intensive care and thus pave my way to grad school! Thank you Hay-zeus! Brian is pretty happy for me and he's been so encouraging and supportive during my interviews and application processes.... Couldn't have done it without cha babe! :)

Countdown to Vancouver -- 6 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment