Friday, April 1, 2011

UBC Boathouse Visit

I LOVED this venue!











The boathouse was constructed by an Olympic rower back in the day who was an alumnus of UBC. The garage downstairs is where all the canoes/kayaks and other boats are stored. It's so modern and unique and sleek!

I only have one slight qualm about it.... It's in RICHMOND! There's nothing wrong with Richmond but I'd say it's a good 20 minutes drive from downtown Vancouver where I planned to have all the guests stay.... Party bus transportation? Maybe. But I'm definitely keeping this one in the books because it's an AMAZING building and it's the perfect size AND it's decently priced!

We also went to visit the Hyatt Regency downtown and the location is PERFECT along with the view from the 34th floor BUT! Alas, no dancing allowed on the 34th floor (I know. Wtf.) AND the banquet rooms allotted for the dinner are a bit bland. Well that's an overstatement. They were painfully BORING (Well, at least for me they were. I'm sure they make wonderful little reception rooms for other weddings). So the event coordinator (James) suggested that we do cocktail hour/toasts/speeches on the 34th floor and then have everyone usher down to the 3rd floor ballroom for dinner. Eh. That's doable but combined with the drab looks of the ballroom, I think Brian and I will pass.

Today - Lunch with Brian's coworkers and their respective spouses at noon. Brian has specifically requested me to look "the best I have ever looked" for his boss and peers. It must be a male testosterone thing... But after lunch, we're hoping to go check out the Fairmont Pacific Rim downtown along with the  Hart House in Burnaby.

Tomorrow - Yoga with some dear old friends and then Brian and I hope to tackle Jug Island in the afternoon! Hopefully catch dinner with Heather and James and then off to the Cavalia show!

Glad I'm not in Delaware where it's sleeting and snowing presently! :)

1 comment:

  1. I hope we can get over there in time to meet you guys before the game!

    ReplyDelete